Friday, April 1, 2011

Prepare for the grand show

I never had the intention to play a trick on a student who asked me if she passed in my subject not until I remembered what today is.

Two days ago, I read a post in a friend’s page inviting his friends to go and dine in a luxurious resto in the city on April 1. I thought ‘what’s the occasion?’ then rolled my eyes down the comments and read someone saying ‘I think I know where this is going.’

And so I decided to go on that direction as well. It was apparent in my student’s reply message that she was so worried of her failing. I laughed but then was quick to spill out the bean that she passed and greeted her a Happy April Fool’s Day.

But prolly nothing beats the claim that Judgement Day is on May 21, 2011 as the trickiest hoax ever. I stumbled upon this claim while reading an article that elucidates the Book of Proverbs. On the face of it, the declaration was meant for people to take it seriously. I was about to give a laugh or two when I remembered hearing straight from the horse’s mouth that actually there is a church in our city that preaches about the end on this specific date.

It ain’t a trick. They are serious. I was in disbelief. Come on, I thought. How can they claim that the Christ is coming on this very date when it is written that His coming will be like that of a thief in the night? No thief will let one know about his moves. The problem is that often times we try hard to rationalize the ways of God when the truth is that His thoughts are so much deeper than ours. And no one can ever fathom them.

I concur to the truth that God is a God of great mercy, compassion and love. He has shown true love when His only Son was crucified on the cross to save the world from eternal condemnation. I reckon that not letting people know of the exact date of His second coming does not make Him less of a loving God because He Himself is love.

The thing is, it is our responsibility to work out our salvation knowing that days on earth are as transient as a person’s shadow. These days are like rehearsals of a theatrical show only that God’s show is on an unspecified date.

Unspecified yet we know that it is coming soon. With all these natural disasters in almost every continent of the globe – flood in the land down under and earthquake that shook New Zealand, war in the Middle East, and more earthquakes and tsunami in Japan and other Asian countries – we can say for certain that we are living in the last days. These are signs. And actually, the Word describes these as birth pains. More is yet to come. And soon the show will start and He will appear for the second time.

That time when we face God’s verdict should not scare our pants off and piss. If you’ve done your rehearsals well then there’s nothing to be scared of.

No comments: