Sunday, April 3, 2011

POD Diaries: Five pesos away from heaven

April 2, 2011

Today, Dimple and I went up to Tikalaan, Talakag with the aim of promoting the youth camp to the members of one of our sister churches here.

We left home at 9:30am and arrived in Carmen Market at 10:30am. We thought that the jeepney bound to Talakag is about to leave. But we were surprised to know that it was not yet and that the double-tired jeepney was almost empty.

Edward and Ram were already there. They will be with us in going up to the backcountry. These two are from Tikalaan, Talakag. These two were able to join last year’s camp. I am glad to see both of them. Ram is one of our students in the church’s training center. Edward, on the other hand, goes to a university in the city. I see a leader in both of them.

It took us almost five hours before we arrived in our destination. The road was rocky and bumpy. The wind is cold. The surroundings – mountains, corn field, rubber trees – tell of the grandeur of the Creator.

We were welcomed by Ps Ernie, Ram’s father, and his wife. We were ushered in to the missions house, they call it. This is where the students of last year’s training at church were also housed. Then we went out to have a chat with Ps Ernie. We told him of why we are here. Then our conversation led to the needs of the new outreach they have in the quarry area. He also told us about the new outreach in Dos which is near the said area. We will tell Ps Arlyn about the information we have extracted from Ps Ernie today.

They served us food and ate while we were conversing. Then all of a sudden, towards the end of our talk, Ps Ernie told me that I will share God’s word tomorrow in his church. I am not ready, to be honest. But I will be ready. Then he asked me what time is it. I told him that it is already 4:25pm. He invited us over to church for a prayer with his members. We prayed. I noticed how sincere their worship and prayers were. These people are real and authentic.

After, we headed to Venyl (I am not sure about how it is spelled). I did not know exactly what we will do there. First, I heard that we will just have a visit to houses of their church members. We trekked down and while walking I was feeling the cold wind. I can also see the slopes and contours of the mountains across. It was fun being with the company.

Then we reached the place after a 3-kilometer hike. It was quite tiring, the road was mostly rocky. Ps Ernie stopped in a church member’s house while Dimple and I along with the young people, led by Edward and Ram, went house-to-house to call young people. We went to Amor’s house and met her mother. Majority of those who were around were young people. I realized of the opportunity to reach out the youth in this place.

Then we went to another house where we are supposed to meet that night. It was already dark when we started the meeting. Ps Rolly approached me and told me that tonight was supposed to be a thanksgiving for the students who graduated from elementary and high school. He asked me to share the word. I was excited because I thought, right there and then, after he told me, that I will share my testimony about my schooling.

I believe that I have become useful today. I was able to encourage them to seek God, listen to His voice and know that Jesus has the best plan in store for each of us. And again, while worshipping, I can sense authenticity among these people. They are inspiring me. I took photos. Ps Ernie wrapped it up by pointing that it is good and just right to thank God for everything including the accomplishment of the students who just graduated.

The way back to the church was fun. It was so dark but we had our flashlights on. I turned on the music player of my phone after Dimple told me to do so. We were so noisy on our way up that dogs on the side of the streets barked at us. We saw fireflies on the way and stars in the night sky. It was a lovely night.

God is great. I will now be preparing for my task tomorrow.

April 3, 2011

We had a wonderful day today.

I was excited and at the same time apprehensive of my task at Ps Ernie’s church today. I shared God’s word. I was conscious of the need to talk in Bisaya (our dialect). But then I just asked God to work through me and reminded myself over and over again that it is not all about me.

Worship, again was so real amongst these people. There was no electricity by the way. My laptop was almost out of battery and I was quite worried because I saved my outline in my desktop. I attempted to transfer it in a paper but time was running out.

When I faced the congregation, I realized that almost all of the people present at church are old ones. There are a number of young people. Most of them have attended the youth camp last year.

So I started sharing God’s word. I shared about the importance of listening to God’s voice. I almost never glanced in my laptop not until I forgot the verse about Jesus’ listening to His father.

To God all be the glory.

After service, we went out to buy food. Ram and Juneil went with us. We ate Batchoy and RM. After, we went home and took a rest. I had quite a good rest.




At 2pm, we woke up and went inside the church to prepare for the youth fellowship. I was bit worried because there was no one there yet. Then Edward came with his friends. I was glad to see them. Then the rest of the young people arrived and we started playing the games. Dimple led the games while I was taking pictures. We had fun. Everyone had fun. There were even little children who joined us.


After the games, I shared the Word, I shared 1 Timothy 4:12. And I believed that I have served my purpose of encouraging these young people. All of the young people who joined by the way are from Tikalaan. No one from Talakag, Indulang and Kulawingon showed up.

After I have shared God’s word, we prayed for one another. We formed a big circle and prayed for the person to our right side.

Then I promoted the youth camp. I started by asking among those who have attended to share to the group what they have learned or what they remember from last year’s camp. Amor shared about the two kinds of pride. I was impressed. Then Rando shared their group’s experience during afternoon fun in the camp last year.

Then I gave basic details of the camp then suddenly asked them to shoot questions to make it more interactive. Edward started the ball rolling.

We finished at past four. Edward and the rest stayed inside to discuss more of their preparations for the youth camp. I see a leader in him.

Then I went to the room to prepare for our supposedly swimming in the river. I was excited. But then it turned out that I was the only interested in swimming so I just forget about it. Instead, we went to Edward’s house and ate Star Apple fruit. The rest of the girls followed us in Edward’s house. Then after staying in the house for quite a while, we went to the elementary school. We trekked our way back to the church but stopped in a barbeque station. We bought some and ate. On our way home, Edward shared to me his plan of initiating a ‘youth festival’ in their area. He wants to bring altogether young people, regardless of denomination, in their area. I was excited for him. This guy is a leader-material. I can see myself in him. I want to disciple him. But then he has hinted his plan to transfer from MUST to BSU in Malaybalay.

Without us knowing, Ps Ernie and the rest of the elders prepared tinolang manok (chicken stewed with moringa) for us and for everyone for dinner. While waiting for the food to be served, I fetched water. While waiting for my turn to get water from the communal faucet outside the church, I realized how fortunate I am living in the city. The supply of water here, I was informed, is only during night time and in the dawn. Although, water supply here is for free, something that I could just only wish for in the city.

After, I went up and turned the laptop so that they can view the pictures that were taken during last year’s camp. One by one, they came inside our room and altogether we had fun reminiscing what happened in last year’s camp. This made me more excited for this year’s camp.

Dinner tonight was so good. The food was scrumptious. I had my tummy full and my taste buds satisfied. And I sensed community while we were in the dining table. We are a big and happy family tonight. Everybody was having a good time and was cracking jokes once in a while. We met Joel tonight, the myetriously silent type of person. Towards the end, the discussion turned a bit serious. It started with Juneil’s new and funky hairstyle that eventually led to contextualization.

I know that I will be nostalgic when I reach home tomorrow. I just love it here. It is peaceful and quiet. Life is calm and relax. Life is simple and is away from noisy bustle of the city. I have always dreamed of having a rest house in the mountains where I could just go to using my own wheels every time I need to take a break. I love the people. I will always say this that they are authentic.

We are heading home three or four hours from now. The first trip is at one or two in the morning. I am excited to come home. I miss my mama. I have not made any communication at home yet since we arrived here because the signal here is weak. There are designated areas for cellphone signal. One is across the church.

Good night. We still have a lot of things to work out for the youth camp. Help us God.

(first draft)

No comments: