Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Stop the drama

This is another installment of the conference I attended last week at church. I just can’t get over with the truth that the conference conveyed.

I love the preacher for preaching a fantastic message on the last night of the confab. He told the audience to stop the drama, that drama we usually do when we fall short of God’s glory.

The command was so apt for me. I do not know if you can feel me but there are times in my life when I hate myself simply because of doing something I know I should not be doing and yet it is so hard to resist doing it and so I do it. And the things I should be doing , I do not do. Paul knows this best when he said: I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. Romans 7:15

I soak myself in tears for hating myself. The worst thing, probably, that I have for hating myself was bang my head with gnashing teeth. Drama.

Certainly, I do not view the message of the conference as a license to do sin, although, for baby Christians, it could be immaturely taken as a green-light signal to sin. But rather it consoled me knowing that Jesus is moved not by my tears but by the covenant He had made with His Father.

What a friend we have with Jesus

Jesus’ friendship with us was likened by the messenger that night with the friendship between Jonathan and David.

We can certainly ask no more than the kind of friendship these two has with each other in the name of the Lord. Jonathan loved David as he loved himself. He defended David and he was shameful of the treatment his father, King Saul, showed to innocent David. The latter being chased by the king for him to be killed. It created a fear in David saying “…there is only one step between me and death.”

It was a friendship that was founded in a covenant of showing kindness, of love that extends beyond their next generation.

Mephibosheth, a remnant of Saul

I could just imagine the fear that Mephibosheth had when he was about to face the person whom his grandpa, King Saul, so disliked to the point of getting rid of him.

And when they saw each other, the limping Mephibosheth was probably thinking that the meeting spells the end of his life. He is a dead dog, he supposed. He could have been crying as he beg King David not to kill him.

But it turned out not to be the conclusion of his time when he met King David. It was the opposite of what he thought it would be. Instead, King David restored the land that belonged to his old folk, invited him to the king’s table. He treated Mephibosheth as his own. Adding to that, he was given Ziba and his sons as his servants. What a perfect ending!

Crippled for life

The crying does not move Jesus but it is the covenant that He has made with His Father that moves Him. He came. He sought the lost and saved the sinners, like you and me. Thank God for the covenant! We are all at the verge of eternal suffering in hell but Jesus died for us and saved us from eternal condemnation. Just like what King David did to the cripple Mephibosheth, he restored us and made us as His own. We are His friends; we are his family.

There is an invitation for everyone to be a part of His family. Refusing this invitation makes you crippled for life.

No comments: