Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Real winner

While waiting for my next game, a bunch of kids, apparently high schoolers, came in and not long after they have stepped in the badminton court, they started to have fun.

They excitedly hit the shuttle cock back and forth over the net while others were on the sidelines shouting and teasing and others just sat on the bench where their bags were placed. It was a group of more than ten young people who was with their kuya who stood out because he was bigger and taller than anyone in the group.

Later on, more youngsters arrived and joined the group. They became more rowdy. There were three girls in the group. Somebody held a DSLR and captured almost every move of his playmates. I heard them ask their kuya whose turn is it to play inside the court and they followed his word. I cannot not-watch them. From where I was sitting, I incessantly heard heaps of boisterous laugh from the group.

On the other side of the badminton dome were a Korean guy, with eye glasses on, and a petite Filipina girl. I noticed that while the girl prepared herself to hit the court, the guy went out and puffed his cigar. He went in after a minute or so, passed by me and I perceived the scent of the cigar which I have always disliked. Soon, they started to play the game.

I was still waiting for my opponent for us to continue the third set of our match but since he has not arrived yet, Kuya Jeff, the COEMA badminton in-charge, asked me to play against him.

After beating me, he told me that we’ll go over to the Korean guy and his mate and play against them. I liked the idea so I followed after him. He introduced himself first then myself and I extended my hand and shook each of theirs. The guy’s name is So and the girl is Kirsten.

We played. Our team has passed through half the match point when So raised his hand, bent over, and gasped for air. We continued the match but later, when it was more than what he can bear already, he stepped out from the court. We were worried and repeatedly asked him if he was ok. He said yes but we doubted.

We chatted with Kirsten for a while. We asked her where they are from. We found out that they are from Immanuel Mission School. Then Kuya Jeff had a conversation with her with regard to the school where she comes from. And then it went on from one point to another. She is nice.

Because we were left hanging, another guy from COEMA filled in for So and partnered with Kirsten. In a blink of an eye, we saw So sitting outside and from where we were standing, it seemed he was vomiting. We stopped hitting the shuttle cock and Kirsten approached him. She tapped him in the shoulder, asking him again if he was ok.

She left So and walked towards us. We asked her if he was vomiting. She said no. We felt that our team has nauseated So after making him run for the shuttle from one side of the court to the other. But it was just a game.

After a while of staying, when their things were packed, Kirsten and So left. But our new-found friends passed by us, thanked us while shaking our hands. They smiled. And I was surprise because So handed over the Gatorade energy drink that he bought from the canteen to Kuya Jeff.

At the end of the day, the muscle pain all over my body was so killing me that without a doubt I headed straight to a Thai Massage parlor. The old lady at the counter greeted me with a smile and upon seeing the Yonnex racket, she said "Aha! Badminton." With what she blurted, she was implying that I have come to the right place for relaxation.

While lying on my belly, enjoying the soothing massage of the masseur and the repertoire of oriental music, I realized that I lost three games today but gained a wonderful insight about relational ministry and a number of friends from COEMA and So and Kirsten.

I won.

No comments: