Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Learning ceases not

IT IS humbling to learn things that, as a practicing teacher, I thought I have known already.

I thought I knew Curriculum. But hey, Curriculum is not just about the Lesson Plan. In fact, it can be everything including the learned curriculum which refers to what the students actually learn and what is measured and even the hidden curriculum or the unintended one. These types of curriculum were such an eye opener for me.

Not only did I only realize things that matter to me but I was also inspired to pursue my plan of having my own school in the future. With the discussion on the different points of view and the historical foundations of curriculum, I have envisioned of a school that where the “seconds,” from the traditionalists point of view, are tantamount to the “firsts.” I have imagined a school where everyone is treated equally because each is different from one another.

It may sound cliché but it is true. As a practicing teacher, I have a first-hand experience of the uniqueness of each of my students in my classroom. And it is a challenge for me to cater to each of them. And as I accommodate these differences, I have appreciated the beauty of multiple intelligences.

This project in itself is a helpful and meaningful learning experience for me. This is a stepping stone for the pursuit of my dream. I am proud that this is not just a “recycled” idea but this is one that is thought of and not just lifted from the archives. This is something that is meaningful for its inspiration is base on the difference in race and belief between me and my partner.

I am different. My partner is different from me. Inside the classroom is a celebration of diversity. And what I like about this fact is the opportunity to learn from each other. I like to be in my Professional Education classes for it is an abode of ideas. There is a robust exchange of ideas, none barred, that my mind is sharpened. And I like it that way.

And the healthy argument and debate is moderated by our able and credible teacher, who inspires me and everyone in the classroom to learn more; to achieve what she has achieved and to even outgrow her.

In the end, life is all about learning. Learning ceases not. As what I have said during my first day in my Curriculum Development class, I remember: I am a teacher who is a student.

This is a Reflection Paper submitted for Education 26 Curriculum Development.

No comments: