Thursday, October 6, 2011

Seven random facts about myself

I was born one minute past 12 midnight of October 15, 1985. That means my birthdate is on October 16.

I have always thought that my right palm is dirtier than my left. No, it’s not dirt. It’s a birthmark.

My uncle (deceased) thought that a Hercules was born on that day since it was raining hard and it seemed that the night sky, with roaring thunder, was mad when I came out. He thought he was wrong because all my childhood days, I was a skinny lad.

I would like to believe that I am strong not physically though. My paternal aunt, the one next to my papa, gave me the biblical name John David . Just in case I am talking to someone like Landon Carter in A Walk to Remember, here are basic facts about the epitome of my name:

John is known as the Evangelist or the Divine and is one of the one of the 12 Apostles and the brother of James the Great. He is traditionally considered the author of the fourth Gospel, which is the Book of John, and as well as the Book of Revelation, the last book in the Bible.

David, one of the characters in the Bible that I so love, is responsible for slaying the uncircumcised giant named Goliath. He succeeded Saul as King. He is known to be the author of the Book of Psalms. And my favorite fact about him is that he is a man after God’s own heart.

I grew up at church which was once just at our backyard then moved to the biggest theatre in the city then to one of the busiest markets in the city. I was raised a Born-Again Christian and was taught that Jesus is the only way to Heaven, not through good works or intelligence or religion. From being a Sunday school kid to being one of the teachers in it and to being a director in our church’s kids camp to being a keyboardist to being one of the youth leaders and currently overseeing the Campus Ministry, I practically was a church kid.

They thought I’d become a pastor but I am a teacher by profession. But before I became part of what used to be my department as a college student, I was a telemarketer. I tried it because I was curious what it feels like to be part of the industry that was once at its peak that time. I quit after a paid three weeks of being a greenhorn. Though it was just a short stint but it is worth mentioning that I was a content writer in the short-lived Chum City Radio, the youth arm of the now defunct Mom’s Radio. Then I joined the teaching force of the department of Development Communication. I have been teaching for three years now. I have found my passion.

Pathetic. I once ate inside one of the toilet rooms in the second floor of the Science Center building because, one, I thought that Xavier canteen back when I was a freshman in college is humid, and two, because I was puffy that I do not associate with people I think not in the same plane as me. But I have changed.

1 comment:

Quijano de Oro said...

I was born a minute after October one because my mother didn't want me borne on the day her mother died.

And, my mother was one of the pioneers of Mom's Radio! And I was once one of their kid DJ's in a program called Mom's Vineyard. LOL.