Thursday, June 9, 2011

iJoke

THE BIGgest joke in my life happened today!

You want to know what it is? Here's what happened:

I received a text message from OMF (Christian bookstore) where I bought an NIV Bible (for teenage boys, yes, you read it right, I still look like one, don't I?). The message reads like this:

Good pm sir. This is Hannah from OMF Lit Bookshop. Congratulations, you have just won iRead Booktags from us. Pls claim your prize here at the bookshop and bring an ID. C u!

I was in my cube in the office when I got this message. The inside of me was screaming. I thought it is a gadget because it is 'iReader'. I looked it up in the web and saw images of iReader. A gadget similar to an ebook reader appeared. But I had second thoughts, so I read the message again. It says iReader booktags. it might be just a book mark for an iReader, I thought. But my colleague in the office said it is like Kindle. And I started to believe that it is a gadget that I have won. I was excited, so excited. I replied to the message saying, 'ok' and I followed it up with 'I wonder what it is...'

I was not able to focus in my class and kept thinking how good God is because 'I won a gadget.' My mind wandered and thought how this gadget could make my teaching easier. After class, I headed straight to the mall and went straight to the book shop. On my way, I was imagining what it looks like and how big it is. It seems I could not wait to hold it in my hands and start sliding my point finger on its touch-screen screen. My hands were itching.

The lady in the counter of the bookshop asked me for an ID after I told her, with a wide grin in my face, that I received a text from a certain Hannah. I asked her what an iReader is. She smiled. She got my uni ID, checked my name against the info in their computer. 'Yes, it is him,' she said as she turned to another lady. Then the other lady got something from what seems to be a bundle of paper wrapped in a brown envelope. Then she got on her hand a sticker paper printed with what seems to be calling cards then she said "You can stick this on your books sir, there are a number of tags in this paper." She counted the tags.

And I was like 'so this is the iReader booktag...' as the crack in my face turned into a frown. If you saw my face you'd be dead laughing at me.

I held my phone and pretended that I called somebody up and that I was in a hurry out from the bookshop. I took my exit as if I was not embarrassed. Then to counter my dismay, I went to Bliss and bought a red Vurve tee. My addiction to tees saved me from further disillusion.

But God is still good. I know that one day He'll give me a gadget - iPhone, ebook reader, iPad, whatever.

Lesson learned: read the whole thing, don't be too excited and not all words with' iS' are gadgets.

iJoke

No comments: